Tyler J. Kandel
Tyler joined the firm as a junior associate in 1997 and is a senior attorney in the Firm’s Litigation Department. Tyler’s practice is focused on complex commercial litigation, in both federal and state courts located in New York and New Jersey. His practice includes representation of financial institutions, public and private corporations and other commercial clients in litigation involving a wide array of issues, including but not limited to, contract disputes, financial transactions, consumer banking, real estate transactions, fiduciary obligations, corporate and personal trusts, commercial landlord-tenant disputes, commercial mortgage foreclosures, fraud, business torts and RICO. Tyler also regularly counsels clients regarding subpoena compliance, judgment enforcement, litigation avoidance, and regularly assists clients in the development of their internal strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Represented a lender in action against commercial real estate appraisal company for malpractice and breach of contract which caused the lender to suffer multi-million dollar losses.
- Represented a corporate trustee in connection with dispute over multi-million dollar distributions made to holders that were the subject of a payment recall.
- Represented a financial institution in federal action and bankruptcy proceedings against mortgage bank and its principal for breach of warehousing loan agreement causing damages exceeding $8 million.
- Represented a financial institution in New Jersey foreclosure proceeding of a residential mortgage in excess of $20 million, believed to be the largest residential mortgage foreclosure proceeding in the history of New Jersey.
- Represented a financial institution in action commenced by its former clients for alleged breach of custodial agreements seeking damages in excess of $1.5 million, which resulted in a de minimus settlement after a substantial majority of the plaintiffs’ claims were dismissed.
- Obtained summary judgment against defaulting borrower on a $20 million line of credit and was able to recover nearly $10 million by successfully prosecuting and/or settling turnover proceedings and fraudulent conveyance actions.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a large apparel manufacturer dismissing multi-million dollar RICO action commenced by rival.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar action commenced by developer against lender for alleged breach of contractual obligations and also obtained sanctions against developer awarding lender judgment on lender’s counterclaims.
- Successfully represented a financial institution in Surrogate’s Court action involving maintenance of guardianship account and in which fiduciary alleged damages in excess of $1 million, and obtained dismissal of a majority of the claims asserted.
- Successfully represented commercial landlords and tenants in summary dispossession proceedings and lease disputes in New York and New Jersey state courts.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of federal action brought by former employee alleging violations of Americans with Disability Act.